Sunday, December 10, 2017

Hiroshima Survivor Setsuko Nakamura Thurlow and ICAN Win Nobel Peace Prize

Hiroshima (August 6, 1945) and Nagasaki (August 9, 1945)


Astonishing story from Hiroshima atomic bomb survivor, Setsuko Nakamura Thurlow.

She laments the issue of “nuclear insanity” in her speech at Oslo on December 10, 2017, when she and her group (ICAN) were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize – who she is and her bio.

Her Story: That dreadful day she remembers in her own words are based on the events at Hiroshima where she lived (and then 3 days later at Nagasaki) as described she remembers that history this way in her speech and her story here (the emphasis is placed on her vivid word description of what she saw that day on August 6, 1945 when she survived the blast at her school when she was 13 years old) – in her own words verbatim:

- Blinding flash -

“I still vividly remember that morning. At 8:15, I saw a blinding bluish-white flash from the window. I remember having the sensation of floating in the air.”

“As I regained consciousness in the silence and darkness, I found myself pinned by the collapsed building. I began to hear my classmates' faint cries: “Mother, help me. God, help me.”

“Then, suddenly, I felt hands touching my left shoulder, and heard a man saying: Don't give up! Keep pushing! I am trying to free you. See the light coming through that opening? Crawl towards it as quickly as you can.”

- Burned alive -

“As I crawled out, the ruins were on fire. Most of my classmates in that building were burned to death alive. I saw all around me utter, unimaginable devastation.”

“Processions of ghostly figures shuffled by. Grotesquely wounded people, they were bleeding, burnt, blackened and swollen. Parts of their bodies were missing.”

“Flesh and skin hung from their bones. Some with their eyeballs hanging in their hands. Some with their bellies burst open, their intestines hanging out. The foul stench of burnt human flesh filled the air.”

- Radiation poisoning –

“Thus, with one bomb my beloved city was obliterated. Most of its residents were civilians who were incinerated, vaporised, carbonised –- among them, members of my own family and 351 of my schoolmates.”

“In the weeks, months and years that followed, many thousands more would die, often in random and mysterious ways, from the delayed effects of radiation. Still to this day, radiation is killing survivors.”

“Whenever I remember Hiroshima, the first image that comes to mind is of my four-year-old nephew, Eiji -– his little body transformed into an unrecognisable melted chunk of flesh. He kept begging for water in a faint voice until his death released him from agony.”

“To me, he came to represent all the innocent children of the world, threatened as they are at this very moment by nuclear weapons. Every second of every day, nuclear weapons endanger everyone we love and everything we hold dear. We must not tolerate this insanity any longer.”


Here she is speaking in March 2017 (about 30 minutes) on the same subject – more vivid details:

Mrs. Nakamura-Thurlow Then a Young Lady in Her Native Japanese Kimono 

My Reaction to her story and her words – wow – they speak for themselves:

I wonder if Donald J. Trump and Kim Jung-Un would read this – or if they even know her story and the horror she experienced and saw firsthand about nuclear war?

Shall we send a copy of this to them? Their reaction would be priceless, but I expect their response would be along the lines as “Fake News, Made up Story, a Hoax, More American Propaganda to scare our Great Nation Now I the Nuclear Age and Equal to America – who we are Not Afraid Of…” 

My speculation, but probably close to the truth.  

Nuclear war in Korea would be a million times worse that Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined. 

Two men hold the fate of mankind in their hands – how can that be since there would be no such thing as a “limited nuclear war” once it starts, it would end mankind and planet Earth – not a prospect anyone can imagine. 

Stay tuned and congrats to Mrs. Setsuko Nakamura Thurlow for winning the Nobel Peace Prize. 

Thanks for stopping by – please share this story as wide as possible and thanks for that, too.

No comments: