Friday, May 22, 2015

Economic Issue of Our Time: Chasm Between the Richest and the Rest

Easy to Comprehend Data by Any Standard

Easier to Understand Data Also by Any Standard

Magazine Story Cover Art


(Bill Moyers presentation)
The key to understanding the rise in inequality isn’t technology or globalization. It’s the power of the moneyed interests to shape the underlying rules of the market.  
Read more »  Article by Robert Reich 

Excellent, truly an excellent article from Mr. Reich – at least for those like-mined who subscribe to his thinking on this subject, and I certainly do believe in what he writes.

I believe in what he says not only for his valid points, but for my own life's experiences growing up in America during the late 1940's right until today. That time frame included 20 years of active duty in the Marine Corps (twice in Vietnam), followed by 24 years in various DOD agencies and positions until retirement. Along the way I saw and experienced a lot all over the globe from California to Japan, Okinawa, Korea, Vietnam, along with visits to Hong Kong and the Philippines. Then the other side of the globs from North Carolina to the Middle East and Mediterranean area including Spain, France, and Greece and back out again.

Those experiences showed me and taught me a lot about being a part of mankind and believe me I have had friends at the top and bottom of the economic ladder where I consider myself now in the middle income class, but was not always so, and that has been better than all my formal education combined.

Basically, I am not against big business or their big profits and I say, good for them. They have made America great, but far too many by their actions seem to have lost track about the system we all live in is  as they enjoy the same freedoms as all Americans. Their businesses and wealth was acquired from the blood, sweat, and tears of their hard working employees and from those protecting them and the country around them. That is a fact.

Moving jobs off-shore, keeping money in Swiss banks or the Cayman's may be a good business decision from their point of view and maybe it even protects their massive profits and such, but what about those it impacts? To me, that is the issue: country and people always equally first.

Then we see the anti-Labor and Union political nonsense, or movements to squash “social programs,” and such and to me that insane, why? Unions have not always been angels but I know they have been far better for American workers as a whole than not. That I also believe is a valid fact, and not merely an opinion, which these days seems to influence policy more than validity.

So, please enjoy Robert Reich's article. You may not agree with anything or everything he writes, or maybe only some of it, but one has to agree he lays out a lot of facts and truths, and yes, where you stand depends on where you sit about agreeing or not. But, it does make for fine reading and is very thought provoking, too.

Thanks for stopping by. 

No comments: