The GOP's "Mean Machine"
Ryan-GOP Offer for the Top Crust
Main Street America
(Before, During and After Ryan Budget)
The facts are what they are, here is partial list taken from the GOP-approved/endorsed/and passed 2015 budget (House version passed): Key Parts of that budget, and keep in mind, he is expected to become chairman of the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee next year, one of the most powerful perches in Congress. That would give him broad power to determine direction of tax policy and of such major programs as Social Security and Medicare. It also would put him in a position to try to write many of his budget proposals into law.
Ryan's solution to poverty: two main points in the budget derived from his recent speeches:
(1) Pass the problems to the states (money may or may come come later),
(2) Blame the poor for being poor.
The two worst parts:
• Medicare (all workers pay into this their whole working life): Turn it into a voucher system and “hope the money is there when you need it as vouchers shrink over the budget battle years but your need does not change).” Yeah that Paul Ryan.
• Repeal the ACA health care law Obama-care) already voted over 50 times to repeal but GOP has no alternatives.
A bit more:
- Ends current Medicare system, replaces with a “premium support” version (vouchers) starting 2022.
- Tax reform, cutting corporate rate and top individual rate from 35% to 25%.
- Assumes elimination of the Affordable Care Act (Obama-care).
- Ends some subsidies to some farmers.
- Makes Medicaid and the SNAP (food stamp) program block grants to states. Caps funding for each (subject to inflation and population).
- Cuts Pell grants to 2008 levels for college aid.
- Cuts discretionary spending to “well below” 2008 levels.
- Targets “hundreds of government programs that have outlived their usefulness”.
- Freezes pay for federal workers for five years.
- Would cut 10% of federal workforce over three years, through attrition.
- Extends the Bush tax cuts and the AMT patch.