Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Sen. Reid Threatens Nuclear Option on Filibuster Rule

Senate Symbol on Filibuster Rule - Time for Change

I absolutely support Sen. Harry Reid and his threat to “go nuclear” and well ... here is what he said, in his own words about going nuclear on filibuster reform in the Senate.  

These are this strongest terms yet. They come one day after Republicans completed a triple-filibuster of President Obama's most high-profile judicial nominees.

Sen. Reid said: “I'm considering looking at the rules. All this talk of the sacred nature of the filibuster. I think what we need, and the American people want, is for us to get things done around here. I'm not talking about changing anything dealing with the Supreme Court or dealing with basic legislation. I am talking about executive nominations. I'm at the point where we need to do something to allow government to function. The obstruction we've seen in the last five years is nothing like we've ever seen before. ... This is not how democracy is supposed to work, or function, and the American people are sick of this.”

I say, as the old expression once applied to President Harry Truman: “Give 'em Hell, Harry” adopted during the 1948 Presidential election campaign while appearing in Harrisburg, Illinois, Mr. Truman delivered a speech attacking the Republicans. During the speech, a supporter yelled out “Give 'em Hell, Harry!”  Truman replied, “I don't give them Hell. I just tell the truth about them and they think it's Hell.”


That is what we need today: more heat on those who say they serve the best interests of the public – this change is long over due. So, yes, “Given Hell, Harry!”

No comments: